2CV’ers New Years Day run in Wales

Scrie răspuns
JonM
Numar Inmatriculare:BV07 AZN
2CV’ers New Years Day run in Wales

Mesaj de JonM » Lun Ian 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Joined my local 2CV group for new years day drive out in Wales

& Wow!! what an adventure it was!!

Was a little late leaving as Esther had to work 1st thing and I had a few little last min things to do to my 2CV, as get it fuelled up, which is no problem usually but most garages seemed shut at 8am, place was like a ghost town.

Eventually got going, made reasonable time in our 2CV, but knew we’d be late to some / all meet up points. Subsequently we missed the initial 1st meet up point at Tescos, Hereford.
Making our way along the route given, to Hay On Wye via A465 & B4352 [lovely road]. We were now only about 20 mins behind everyone else. Got to Hay On Wye & all was well- so far!!

In Hay On Wye we were forced to ask for directions to Lord Herefords Knob car park, only about 10 or miles away but there seemed to be no signs for where we were heading & I didn’t have my SatNav as usually have as hadn’t got round to putting a power socket in the 2CV yet –Doh!
Esther popped into the 1st shop we saw to ask directions. On returning, she’d got talking [her favorite pastime] to a lady who owned the shop, who was more than helpful. Found out that she’d owned a Citroen Dyane a few years back & loved it. She expressed her happiness about seeing lots of 2CV’s pass through. She even had quick look at ours.

Eventually we found our way up Forest Road upto Lord Herefords Knob car park. Simply amazing road & stunning, spectacular scenery!! Quite often was single track, cattle grids & at times very very steep, having to go into 1st gear, but so well worth the effort!!

Now for the decent down Gospel Pass!! - by this stage it had started raining umph!! An eventful drive for all down narrow sometimes flooded / muddy roads.
An encounter with a small rat like excuse for a dog on a suicide mission, dog that ran out nearly getting run over by 2CV infront of me [dog wasn’t on a lead & was chasing all the cars, whilst the seemingly unconcerned owner looking on, giving evil stares at the precession of 2CV’s, as if to say how dare we be there], scary moment locking upon a very wet & muddy single track lane kept me awake!!
We met quite a few on coming cars, most being locals in there 4x4’s who either let us through waving & smiling or looking at us in disgust, LOL!!
We arrived eventually at the Pandy pub for a much needed coffee & snack before the drive home.

We left at around 15.30 for lets say, an eventful drive home, all being very tiered due to far to many late nights, we just wanted to get home at reasonable time for a good Sunday roast.
Anyways wasn’t well, it felt down on power LOL more than normal LOL.
It developed an oil leak, I knew of a very minor leak but this time, I feared is time it could be bad.
After a short while I noticed I was leaving trail of smoke a car smelt of oil.
Not knowing how bad actually it was, where it was coming, no idea how to prevent it from getting any worse, or how to fix it – with RAC phone number & membership number in hand, Esther, the kids & I, liking a challenge, decided to keep going & try make home [now about 40 miles]
Jon aka spanners set off just before me & having passed him earlier when he’d stopped for fuel, was now in my trail. Jon soon caught up with me around Bransford - 10 or so miles from Worcester.
Despite the smell of oil getting worse, & us fearing the worst, our 2CV kept on going!
Not bad for a £400 ebay purchase, until now its been great to us & in the 3 years I’ve owned it, been a outstanding little car.

We passed motorway but not wanting to go on the motorway in a sick 2CV [bad enough in a good one lol]
We battled on, with Jon in his Ami behind, through Worcester, Dritwich & on through Bromsgrove, to Redditch & home.
Really appreciated the help & assistance Jon, sorry for the oil on your Ami windscreen & hope the smell of oil wasn’t to bad.

Thanks to all those 16 or so A Series Citroens that attended, everyone was very friendly.

Engine rebuild on to do list then haha

Please take afew minutes to view the pics and 2 videos
Sorry about the quality, the kids took alot of them, and a few by Esther & me

Pics… Link: http://public.fotki.com/jonm/wye-knots-2cvers-ne/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Video… Link: http://public.fotki.com/jonm/wye-knots- ... d-001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards, Jon

mihai ham
Marca si model masina:Citroen C3 Picasso,1.6 HDI
Numar Inmatriculare:VL

Re: 2CV’ers New Years Day run in Wales

Mesaj de mihai ham » Lun Ian 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Very nice :hi

Scrie răspuns

Înapoi la “Miscellaneous”